Kristen the Appliance Angel has some excellent tips to increase the life of your dishwasher.
- Finish Power ball All-in-one soap (in little packets) is the new rock star on the scene!
- Run hot water at sink faucet before starting the dishwasher. Otherwise, your dishwasher could be washing in cold water or taking a longer run time to heat the water (higher end dishwashers).
- Be sure to load large bowls or pans carefully so they do not block spray arm movement.
- You can scrape the food off your dishes but Do Not wash them before loading! Soap must have food (chemical reaction) to react with or else it will etch your dishes and glasses instead.
- Keep the rinse agent tank filled. It really helps with water spotting.
- Never substitute dish washing soap in place of dishwasher soap-and tell your kids!
- You may need to use Lemi Shine granules every time you use dishwasher. This removes/prevents hard water build up on dishes and the interior of your dishwasher. Approx. 1 heaping teaspoon added to the dispenser cup that closes along with your detergent might be all you need.
- If your dishwasher has hard water/soap buildup, you can use Lime Away or CLR repeatedly until it is dissolved. Only use on an empty dishwasher, and as directed on the bottle. Vinegar also works but smells-and it would likely take several gallons to do the job.
- Modern dishwashers actually use less water than hand-washing, contrary to popular belief.